MonaLisa Touch Vaginal ATROPHY Rejuvenation!
MonaLisa Touch Vaginal Breast Cancer Treatment Breakthrough!
The MonaLisa Touch a revolutionary new fractional CO2 laser that is specifically designed to treat vaginal tissue. It is the only FDA approved device for the treatment of symptoms associated with Vaginal Atrophy such as:
- Vaginal itching
- Vaginal dryness
- Pain during intercourse
- Vaginal burning
- Vaginal laxity
- Vaginal Breast Cancer Treatment
In addition, many patients have experienced relief with secondary symptoms such as urinary incontinence and lychen sclerosis.
Does the MonaLisa Touch Treatment Hurt?
In a word, NO.
Although the MonaLisa Touch is a fractional CO2 laser that is fired inside of the vagina, patients experience no pain. The only discomfort reported by patients is from patients with severe atrophy on their first treatment when Dr. Bernstein is inserting the vaginal insertion ring on their first treatment. This discomfort is due to friction during and not the actual treatment and is a symptom of their vaginal atrophy. The patients that have experienced this have indicated that it is less discomfort that a speculum insertion.
By the second treatment, every patient’s condition has improved to the point where there is no discomfort from the insertion.
The most common description of what patients feel when the MonaLisa Touch is fired inside the vagina is a slight vibration.
What is a Typical MonaLisa Touch Treatment Like?
A typical MonaLisa Touch treatment takes about 3 minutes or less of actual laser-treatment time.
As a patient, your visit would go something like:
- After checking in with the front desk, you will be brought back and your vital signs will be taken.
- You will then be brought into a procedure room where you will be given some privacy so that you can disrobe and put on a gown.
- You will then be placed on an exam table and your feet will be placed in stirrups in the same manner as a vaginal exam / pap smear.
- Dr. Bernstein will place a sterile “insertion ring” into your vaginal opening. This is a circular device that allows the MonaLisa Touch laser hand piece to be inserted and moved without the discomfort of directly rubbing against your labia.
- Dr. Bernstein will then fully insert the MonaLisa Touch laser hand piece into your vagina.
- After complete insertion, Dr. Bernstein will repeatedly fire the MonaLisa Touch laser, then move the laser then fire the laser again, etc. until she has completely treated the entire interior surface of your vagina.
- Dr. Bernstein will then remove both the MonaLisa Touch laser hand piece and the insertion ring.
- After the treatment, you will be required to refrain from putting anything inside your vagina for a few days.
- Some patients have indicated that their first urination after the treatment feels different (not painful). They have described this as “noticing” or “feeling” their urine flow in a different way.
When Will I Feel the Results from the MonaLisa Touch?
Most patients experience symptom relief within the first week after their initial MonaLisa Touch treatment. All of Dr. Bernstein’s patients have expressed significant symptom improvement within 2 weeks. Treatment guidelines indicate that patients should experience results before their second treatment (within 6 weeks).
How Many MonaLisa Touch Treatments are Required?
The Standard MonaLisa Touch protocol is 3 treatments spaced 6 weeks apart for optimal results. Although many patients have indicated 50 to 70 percent reduction in symptoms after the first treatment, studies have shown that the initial treatment achieves about half of the final symptom relief experienced from the complete course of 3 treatments. Additionally, in order to obtain proper duration of relief, it is important for patients to receive all 3 MonaLisa Touch Treatments.
How Long Does the MonaLisa Touch Treatment Last?
Unfortunately, as with most treatments for conditions associated with aging, the MonaLisa Touch’s results cannot last forever. However, the current standard protocol is for patients to receive a single maintenance treatment once each year in order to avoid recurrence of vaginal atrophy symptoms.
Who is a Candidate for the MonaLisa Touch?
Any woman experiencing the symptoms of vaginal atrophy is a candidate. This includes women in natural menopause, transitional menopause, and early menopause. It also includes women that have had their ovaries removed. It also includes women that have received cancer treatments that have induced early onset of vaginal atrophy.
Can Cancer Patients be Treated with the MonaLisa Touch?
This is probably the most exciting aspect of the MonaLisa Touch. Because the MonaLisa Touch is a non-hormonal treatment, it is safe for women who are cancer survivors.